This is the first movie review I am writing in this blog. I am immensely happy that it happens to be a VIJAY movie. Sorry…Sorry….AR Murugadoss movie.
# Title: The title design was very artistic. But, I was reminded of a similar texture title design in an another recent Tamil movie. (Not mentioning the movie’s name as it might send a wrong opinion to the readers. If you have guessed that movie, well, you are a good observer)
# Vijay: ROCK SOLID. It is surprising to see that he was the same guy who portrayed a Military Officer character in the movie VILLU. In this movie, he was perfect. Well-built. But, his hairstyle was not of a typical army stature. Wonder how the Director missed it ? With the Rubick’s cube, Wow…Vijay ….(Infinite Exclamatory marks)
#Songs: Songs deter the PACE of the movie. A movie with a swift screenplay was cursed to accommodate songs for Vijay’s image. Pity. Minus the songs, well, the movie would definitely had no big negatives to say. Vijay’s Intro song was non-commercial & I loved that change. “Google Google” was foot-tapping. Great to hear Vijay’s voice after a long hiatus.
#Vidyut Jamwal: This guy was Royal in Billa II and is, RAW in Thuppakki. He now becomes the first villain to act in back-to-back Mass Heroes of Tamil Cinema. In Billa II, he gets a climax in mid-air whereas, in this movie, he is having a fight in mid-sea. Two different surfaces, against two mass heroes. Cherish this feat, Vidyut. You are very fortunate. But, I still wonder, why all villains spill out their destruction plans to the hero before the climax ? Other than these, Vidyut was a perfect fir for this role and played it elegantly. Love ya….!
#Kajal Agarwal: A beautiful Kajal in the Intro scene and perfectly exposed Kajal in the ‘Vennilave’ song. Her job is done. Does quite a scenes with Vijay and it turns to be very entertaining. Nothing more to say about her. Dot.
* It was really a good thing to have new faces for the Vijay’s family
* Man-to-Man marking for killing the terrorists was really really awesome. 12 shots. 12 down. It was fascinating. A different strategy handled and it paid out really well.
* Solving the dotted puzzle in the first attempt was quite illogical. Had it been in a two or more attempts, it would have been much better
* The story , Vijay says about a brutally murdered military officer and subsequently, his younger brother joining the army, showcased the pride and honor of being an army officer. Hats off to them.
* Jayaram. Why was he in this movie ? No much difference done.
* Murugadoss, who usually includes social issues & humanity in his movies, has taken it to the next level in Thuppakki. Clever inclusion. Perfect Match.
* Interrogation of the captured terrorist was totally afresh. The manner in which the Inspector & Joint Secretary were provoked to commit suicide, was brilliant.
* Self-Medication for the dislocated arm was not convincing enough. If it is feasible, then it is Fine.
* Slipping a Dedication title card to The Indian Army in the end credits was very very appreciative. It indeed, happened to a perfect dedication to The Martyrs.
Time to wrap up:
Thuppaki beats Ghilli, Pokiri and so on. This is what I expected from Vijay for a very very long time & Thanks To A R Murugadoss. I never Vijay wanted to be different, I only wished from him to move away from his usual methodology. He does the move here and it will really pay him off very well. His screenspace in the fight against the kidnappers, was Massive. Way through the movie, I often felt THUPPAKKI was small a title for this cinema. Names like ROCKET & MISSILE, would have been an apt option. Such was the package the movie had.
##To Vijay Fans: Raise your collars. Be proud. IlayaThalapathy has delivered his best ever. But do remember,’ எதுல வேணும்னாலும் ஆடலாம். ஆனா , ஆணவத்துல மட்டும் ஆடக்கூடாது.’ It is just a sincere reminder, for the general togetherness of the fans. Nothing else. Don’t take it in the wrong way. Ilaya Thalapathy is in the BIGGEST STYLE-MASS FACTOR EVER.
##To Anti-Vijay Fans: Stop unnecessarily exaggerating the minuses of the movie. Every movie has drawbacks. It only matters, how well the drawbacks matter at the last. As of this movie, those negativism cancels out at the end. So, don’t break your heads to find faults. Learn to enjoy the movie & appreciate the performance of an actor. Grow up, Guys. Cursing an another actor, cannot bring laurels to your favorite hero. The same, implies to all actor’s fans too. If you want to praise your hero, praise him alone. Mocking or demeaning other actors, is a cheap act. Nobody will prefer it & especially THALA….never ever. If you LOVE your actor, learn to RESPECT the other actor. That is DIGNITY. As I always say, BE A SENSIBLE FAN.
##As a ‘SENSIBLE’ Ajith Fan: Vijay Rocks. Enormous stuff delivered by Mr. Vijay. Glad to see him in such away-from-usual roles. My Best Wishes to AR Murugadoss for giving this style to Mr. Vijay. This movie will remain in my favorite list of Thalapathy movies. Expecting much more power-packed movies from him. “I AM WAITING”.
Live & Let Live. Cheers.